2 celery stalks
2 garlic cloves
1 lb. ground sausage
1 14oz can tomato sauce, or a handful of fresh tomatoes
1 can vegetable broth
2 TB butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg
pasta sheets (I recommend Barilla no boil)
To make the Ragu-
1.Wash and chop onion, carrots, celery, and garlic.
2. Heat butter and oil in pot. Saute vegetables briefly (I forgot celery so I left it out).
3. Add sausage. Saute.
4. Add tomato sauce, stock, salt and pepper.
5. Simmer on low for 1 hour.
To make the Bechamel (a white sauce)-
1. Melt butter. Add flour, stirring with a whisk, appx 1 minute.
2. Slowly add milk, then cream, stirring constantly.
3. Simmer on low until thickened, 5-10 minutes.
4. Season with s&p and nutmeg.
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a 9x13 baking dish, spread a teeny tiny layer of the bechamel, preventing the pasta from sticking to the bottom.
3. The layers will be in this order- pasta, ragu, bechamel, mozzarella. Repeat 3 times.
4. Top with parmesan and a few pats of butter. (you don't have to do the butter, but its amazing)!
5. Bake for 40 minutes.
It really was as amazing as it looked. I am really bad at taking pictures of it nice and plated because I eat it so fast. It was fantastic. Have a great weekend!