Friday, March 5, 2010

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

I love chicken salad sandwiches and I usually get the pre-done kind at Publix, but I wanted to try it for myself. I got the recipe from The Pioneer Woman. You'll see a trend as I've been getting my recipes from her all week.  
Ingredients
  • 1 whole Cut Up Fryer Chicken (a whole chicken, I used split chicken)
  • 2 stalks (to 3 Stalks) Celery, Chopped
  • 3 whole Green Onions, Chopped
  • 2 cups (to 3 Cups) Grapes, Halved
  • A Small Handful Of Fresh Dill, Minced (I used dried)
  • ½ cups Mayonnaise
  • ½ cups Plain Yogurt Or Sour Cream (I used yogurt, b/c you all know how much I love sour cream...not)
  • 1 Tablespoon (to 2 Tablespoons) Brown Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon (to 2 Tablespoons) Lemon Juice
  • Kosher Salt To Taste
  • Fresh Ground Black Pepper To Taste
Directions-
Rinse chicken thoroughly and place in a large pot of water. Turn on the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done (about 45 minutes to an hour). When you are ready, remove the chicken from the pot and place on a plate. With your fingers or a fork, pull all of the meat off the bones, chop into bite-sized chunks and set aside. I baked mine in the oven and will try boiling next time as this took a while. I put olive oil, salt and pepper on mine.
Chop all of your fruits and veggies and place them in a bowl with the chicken.


In another bowl mix mayonnaise, yogurt (or sour cream), lemon juice, brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Add fresh herbs (dill, oregano,…whatever you have or leave it out). When the dressing tastes just right (you must taste test for appropriate saltiness especially), pour it over the chicken/veggie/fruit mixture and stir gently until everything is thoroughly mixed.

Allow the salad to chill for several hours (or even overnight). Serve on a bed of lettuce or in a sandwich or heck, eat it straight out of the bowl with a serving spoon. There is a lot of chopping with this recipe so find yourself a sous-chef or just enjoy your time cutting. It's therapeutic for me. I put mine on a croissant, which I believe is the best place for chicken salad! Mmm Mmm Good! A little tidbit for ya-I did add a little too many onions though. The recipe says 3 green onions, well on one stalk of green onions is 3 so I wasn't sure if it meant 3 stalks of the 3 or just 1 stalk with 3 and I think its the smaller portion one :) oops. I still loved it.
Pin It

1 comment:

Mock family said...

MMMMMMMM I'll take some of that! you should have cut the grapes the other way though :)

 
Blogging tips