Monday, September 9, 2013

Easy Mongolian Beef Recipe

I've tried to make Mongolian beef before and ended up having to throw it away so I am always skeptical when I see a recipe that claims it's easy or only takes 30 minutes. Well this recipe did say it takes 30 mins, but maybe I had more meat and had to cook it up in batches so it took me about 45mins-1 hr from start to finish including cutting meat and such. I would save this for the weekend when you have more help watching the kiddos. This recipe comes from Just a Taste.
Ingredients-
Vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 (1-pound) flank steak (do not use any other meat, this is a must)
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 scallions (green parts only), sliced into 1-inch pieces
 
Directions:
Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a small saucepot over medium-low heat. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce and water, stirring to combine.

Stir in the brown sugar and increase the heat to medium. Bring the sauce to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside.

Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4-inch pieces, then toss it with the cornstarch. Place the coated pieces of steak in a sieve and shake off any excess cornstarch. Allow the steak to sit 10 for minutes.

Place a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat and add 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot (but not smoking), add the beef to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes until it is seared on all sides but barely cooked in the center. Remove the steak from the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer it onto a paper towel-lined plate. Pour any excess oil out of the wok.

Place the sauté pan back over medium heat. Add the prepared sauce to the hot pan (it should come to a boil almost immediately), then add the reserved steak and cook at a boil, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add the sliced scallions, stirring to combine.
Transfer steak and scallions with a slotted spoon to a plate and serve. I served with brown rice and veggies.  Pin It

6 comments:

Mock family said...

trying it tonight, it better be good!! :)

Linda said...

Looks delicious!!

Sara McCarty said...

Whoa. That looks good! I'm such a fan of order out Chinese food, but would love to learn how to make some of my own recipes. Probably much healthier! Going to have to try this.

Unknown said...

I made this today and it was PERFECTION. Posted the pics on facebook and instagram what followed immediately were recipe requests and "can I come over for dinner?" --- awesome find (from pinterest) Thumbs up! :)

Unknown said...

Made this for our church potluck and it was a hit! Everyone loved it!
Thanks

Anonymous said...

I've been scouring Pinterest for "unique" potluck ideas for our office lunch next week. I already signed up to bring banana pudding but wanted to do something else too. My "go-to" dish is usually drunken glazed wings with my special tomato-free sauce with a generous splash of bourbon, but someone's already bringing chicken spaghetti soooo...I was actually thinking Asian (and Sara, I hope you tried this recipe -and others- and discovered that cooking Chinese food is very easy)..THIS looks YUM'MAZING!! Now..white rice or fried? Pics will follow!

 
Blogging tips