Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Italian Wedding Soup

We had a bit of a cold front come through yesterday afternoon/night and I took full advantage of the weather and made some soup! This recipe for Italian Wedding Soup comes from Recipe Girl.

Ingredients-
MEATBALLS:
3/4 pound ground turkey
1/2 pound turkey sausage, casings removed
2/3 cup fresh white bread crumbs
2 tsp. minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp. milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
SOUP:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup minced yellow onion
1 cup diced carrots (about 3 medium)
1 cup diced celery (about 2 large stalks)I forgot these at the store so they'll be missing from my photos.
10 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine (I didn't have any since I am not drinking so I just added a bit more chicken broth, I think total I had about 12 cups)
1-2 cup small pasta (I used mini tubes I can't remember the name. I really wanted small ball pasta but couldn't find any.)
1/4 cup minced fresh dill (I used dried spice)
8 ounces fresh baby spinach- trimmed, washed & patted dry
extra Parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare meatballs: Place ground meats, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, Parmesan, milk, egg, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl and combine gently with a fork.
With a teaspoon, drop 1-inch meatballs onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper (The recipe says I should have 40 meatballs, but I easily had 100).
I just baked the extra meatballs and froze them so I can make this faster next time!
Bake for 20ish minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside.
3. Prepare soup: Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large stock pot. Add onion, carrots, and celery and saute until softened, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken broth and wine and bring to a boil. Add pasta to the simmering broth and cook an additional 6 to 8 minutes, until the pasta is tender. Add the fresh dill and then the meatballs to the soup and simmer for 1 minute. Taste for salt and pepper. Stir in spinach and cook for 1 minute, until spinach is just wilted.
Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle each serving with extra grated Parmesan cheese. Some notes: I am used to having Italian wedding soup with escarole, but my store just didn't have any. You can also substitute any ground meat, but I really loved the turkey sausage flavor.
Pin It

4 comments:

Mock family said...

Look at you little cooker again! Mmmmmm great job make me some!

Chris said...

Mmmm, looks so good...Haven't had that in a long time, need Marla to make that maybe Halloween weekend.

asj said...

yum! looks so good! :)

Marla said...

Mmmm looks yummy!

 
Blogging tips