Monday, May 23, 2011

Recipe Index & Mexican Ground Turkey Quinoa Skillet

Pool season has officially started! We had a fun neighborhood opening party Saturday where David's parents DJ'ed the event and fun was had by all. Our 90 + degree weather made for a great start to pool season. I wanted to share a new feature that I added to the blog. Take a look on the right side, I made a recipe index so that you can easily sort the recipes. I had about 70 recipes that you would just have to load older pages until you found the one you were looking for. I have listed recipes by categories so that you can find them faster. Looks like I need to populate some of those categories.
Have you tried Quinoa yet? You REALLY need to. It is a great alternative to bad carbs with plenty of protein and essential nutrients. I purchased a HUGE thing of it from Costco and have yet to make anything with it. I came across this recipe from Debbie Does Dinner and LOVE all the flavors. I doubled the recipe and we ate it for dinner that whole week. 
Mexican Ground Turkey Quinoa Skillet
1 lb. ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, diced (optional)
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 (4 oz) can chopped chilies
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tbsp. garlic
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups corn
2 green onions for garnish
 
Directions-
Brown ground turkey and onions in a large skillet
As your meat is browning rinse your quinoa in water and strain it out (be careful the holes in your strainer, I lost a little bit of quinoa because it's so small.)
Stir in garlic, spices, and peppers.

Add diced tomatoes, chiles, quinoa, water and black beans. Stir and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. I doubled the recipe so that's why it looks like my pan is going to overflow (I transferred to 2 pans shortly after.)
Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes or so until quinoa is done and most of the liquid is gone.
A good serving size is 2 cups with a nice side salad. Super healthy and delicious!
Pin It

1 comment:

Mock family said...

that dinner looks DELICIOUS! and the new recipe tabs are very convenient! GREAT job!

 
Blogging tips