Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sasuage and Spinach Stuffed Shells

I am slowly trying to bank up some meals for the freezer for when baby Max is born. Right now I am just doubling recipes that I am having for dinner. This recipe I found off of pinterest and it's from Inspired Taste. Keep in mind that I doubled the recipe and I don't like ricotta cheese so I just used Parmesan instead. I also used sweet sausage and turkey sausage to be a little more healthy.

Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Shells-
Ingredients-
  • 16-18 jumbo pasta shells
  • 1 pound fresh sausage links, casing removed
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeeze dry
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes 
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta shells and cook according to package directions. Drain well then add to ice water until ready to stuff. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a little oil and onion and cook for a few minutes. Add sausage then use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage, cook 5-6 minutes until browned. 
Add garlic and cook 30 seconds then add tomatoes and spinach; cook 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in ricotta cheese.
Using a spoon, fill pasta shells with pork filling and arrange in a baking dish (9-inch x 9-inch baking dish works well). The smaller pan is for the freezer and the bigger one was dinner and lunches for the next day.
I just mixed the crushed tomatoes with some Italian seasonings and poured on top. Sprinkle tops with shredded cheese then bake in the oven 25-30 minutes until cheese has melted and tips of shells begin to crisp and brown. If you are freezing, just your shells get to room temperature and put in the freezer with a foil lid.
Yummy Shells.
They are time consuming to stuff, but definitely worth it.
We got these aluminum containers at Sams club in the bulk pack and got the lids to go with it to make easy stacking in the freezer. I also wrote directions on the front. David asked that I put the expiration date instead of the date I made it so there would be no confusion. I've read that freezer meals last about 3 months in the freezer so that's what I put on the date.
All set to go. I want to make a bunch more as time permits, just need to clear some space out of the freezer. Pin It

4 comments:

Jen S said...

Such a great idea to plan ahead :) Can I hire you when I'm expecting?

Linda said...

Looks delicious!!

Madalyn said...

Great idea with the freezer meals. We are doing the same.

Mima said...

How did you get so organized? I'm impressed.

 
Blogging tips